If you are reading this blog post, I think it’s safe to say that you are from a wealthy country and are probably looking to find more meaning and fulfillment in life. Finding purpose and a way to contribute to the world has certainly become the predominant focus of my life. The problem is that I still don’t know what that really means.
What are we trying to maximize?
Imagine that life were a quest to be the best we could be. What would we be trying to maximize?
Despite our actions, I would say that we are not trying to maximize such factors as:
- number of hours of television watched
- hour spent behind a desk in a cubicle
- number of Tweets or Facebook updates
- how fat we can get
- total trash produced
- volume of fossil fuels consumed
- the size of our house
- the speed of our cars
- the number of stamps in our passports
- the number of marathons we run
Those kinds of metrics seem somewhat foolish to mention as ultimate goals of being a good human, yet those types of activities end up taking a massive amount of our attention. Why is that?