Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style

jimi1 Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style

Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style (Image from SoFarSoCute)

Lifestyle design seems to be commonly associated with quitting work, earning passive income online and traveling the world. While those are worth while pursuits, I have to believe there is more to living the perfectly designed lifestyle.  In my view, a great life is about steadfast devotion to personal greatness and contribution. Few people embody that definition better than Jimi Hendrix.

Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style
In November 2005, Guitar World magazine published an excerpt of the book, Room Full of Mirrors, a biography of Jimi Hendrix . As you would probably expect Jimi Hendrix didn’t reach the pinnacle of his field by working as little as possible. He paid his dues and earned every ounce of fame he received. Here are some quotes from that article.

“Practicing his guitar was the central activity in Hendrix’s life.”
“He went to bed practicing; he slept with the guitar on his chest; and the first thing he did upon rising was to start practicing again.”
“Hendrix would practice on the way to a gig, play for up to five hours during one of their all-night shows and continue to practice on the car ride home.”

Effort is one of the few controllable precursors of success and Jimi Hendrix definitely put in his 10,000 hours. If you want to be great at anything you have make the necessary sacrifices and get to work. If you are not willing to put in the time to master your life’s calling, then it is just a hobby.

Jimi Hendrix Lifestyle Design Rule #1 – Work Your Ass Off

There are hundreds or thousands of people and companies in your niche with better skills and ideas. Everybody is good now. Good is not good enough, Jimi Hendrix also realized that it was important to entertain fans. We all have seen footage of Hendrix’s flashy playing style and outrageous antics, but few realize how that stage presence was slowly crafted over many years, of endless gigs, with numerous bands.

“He began to play with the guitar behind his back, which he’d seen T-Bone Walker do, and he mimicked Alphonso Young’s trick of playing with his teeth.”

Being exceptional is the price of admission to any chance of real success now.  Those that can stand out with finesse and character are the ones that will really explode. You don’t have to set your laptop on fire with lighter fluid, but you do need to get noticed. What are you doing to be remarkable?

Jimi Hendrix Lifestyle Design Rule #2 – People Want to be Entertained

Great talent and a unique presence make you interesting but there is one more missing ingredient.

“Hendrix also took a cue from Young, who told him he’d be wiser to stop practicing during set breaks and go out and meet the audience. That was the way to build fans who would come to see you night after night.”

Humans are the most social of all animals, we all need to connect. People don’t go to conventions to hear presentations, they go to meet  people. We don’t go to cafes because we can’t make coffee at home, we go because we need to be around people. I believe that one of the best metrics of  great lifestyle design is the quality of relationships we establish and maintain.  That is what life is all about. Do you have 1000 true fans?

Jimi Hendrix Lifestyle Design Rule #3 – Relationships are Important

Jimi Hendrix will forever be remembered as a legend in rock n roll because he got all the pieces of the puzzle together. He put in the hours to hone his skills, he developed an entertaining stage presence and he learned to connect with his audience. I believe lifestyle design is about personal excellence. That excellence is not achieved by working as little as possible. In a hyper-competitive world top-performers need to work harder, be more interesting and build deeper relationships with their fans. The question is:

Do you want to be mediocre or do you want to be Jimi Hendrix?

Jimi Hendrix Image Source

9 Responses to Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style

1. Fantastic thoughts John! I am liking this 10,000 hour rule more and more every time I read about it. I’m still on my way there, but it’s certainly important to have the drive to seek excellence! This makes me feel a little bit better about the nights I fall asleep with my laptop next to me on the bed and immediately jump back into it first thing in the morning (usually putting in contacts and showering 5 hours later!)
    .-= Cody McKibben´s last blog ..It’s Not All About Money—Building a Business is your Chance to Make a Difference =-.

2. Nate says:

This is an excellent post! These are all great principles to follow. I really like the 1000 true fans idea it’s really true. Also, the 10,000 hours concept is an great reminder to me that I have a long way to go. Sometimes I start feeling impatient because my subscribers aren’t growing or it feels like people don’t care what I have to say. I just have to keep plugging along and all the work will add up. I have quite a way to go but i’ll get there. Thanks for a great post and some good reminders, John. Hope all is well with you.

3. Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style | JetSetCitizen.com - Legends of Guitar says:

[...] See the original post: Lifestyle Design Jimi Hendrix Style | JetSetCitizen.com [...]

4. Dave and Deb says:

Excellent advice. We are still working on being extraordinary, but every time I read a post like this, it helps me to refocus and keep on track with our niche.
    I guess I will start sleeping with my laptop, like he slept with his guitar, we need to bond more:) But seriously, this post makes me feel better about all of the time I have been spending at my computer lately. I really want to make travel and writing a full time career, so I now have more resolve to write more and work harder. Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Dave and Deb´s last blog ..Our Favorite Things to do in Thailand. Period. =-.

5. Greg Rollett says:

Hey John – your opening statements say it all. Lifestyle design is not about working that 4 hour week. It is doing that thing that you love so much that you get excited to wake up everyday and do it again, much like Hendrix and the guitar. If you wake up and dread the activities you have on the agenda, it is time to move on. For some its finding a 9-5 they feel passionate about, I have a few friends with dream jobs. For others its a passive online income. For others it is honing their craft, finding a tribe and delivering their talents night in and night out – something Jimi really knew how to do.

6. Sean says:

Considering Jimi Hendrix has long been my favorite guitarist, I cant’t think of a better person for you to relate lifestyle design too! I am also a big fan of this 10,000 hour rule, while I cannot personally testify to its validity, it seems to make a lot of sense.

If you want to be successful you have to work harder than the people out there that already are successful, and I think this article does a great job of proving that! Thanks for the thoughts!

Thanks everyone for comments! Most appreciated.

The key point of the 10,000 hour rule, for me anyway, is that you don’t have to be born great to succeed. Virtually all of success is connected to hard work and some good fortune. Brilliant musicians get that way because they practiced twice as much as the average ones. The great business people are those that put in the 60 hour workweeks.

Sometimes people get lucky and find shortcuts but more often then not, the very act of persevering and doing the work creates the opportunities.

Too many people think you have to be naturally talented or gifted to succeed. That just isn’t the case.

8. Thom says:

The notion of hard, focused work is a vital one to understand. To me, we shouldn’t be asking students what they want to do when they graduate – we should be asking them whether they want to strive for greatness or not. It might well change people’s chosen occupations and vocations if they knew the work required to succeed and the situation in which they’ll end up if they don’t want to work that hard.

To me, it’s not important if somebody is a businessperson or a sportsperson, a politician or a musician; what’s important is whether or not they are experts in their field (or set on the path to becoming experts). There can surely be no greater compliment in the world than to be known as the leading authority or talent in your chosen area.

If you want to follow an example or find a role model then it needn’t be in the same field that you live your life. It is that quest for personal development and drive to succeed that is the common trait amongst all these people, so there will be lessons to learn from them all.
    .-= Thom´s last blog ..Saying “no” to Twitter =-.

Amazing comment Thom! Thanks for the posting.

Your comment embodies so much of what I believe in. I think striving for greatness is what life is all about. I agree that it doesn’t matter which field, just constantly pushing ourselves is essential to real self-fulfillment. I call that authenticity and I love that more than anything in people. Do your own thing, but do it to the best of your ability!

I also love your pursuit of Seth Godin’s ideas. Very cool!