My wife and I owned and managed a small business in Japan for a decade. We made good money and could buy everything we wanted, but we weren’t challenged and felt that we were missing out on other dreams we had for ourselves.
We spent years talking about doing something different, but never took action. The problem was that our lives were comfortable and secure, so we didn’t want to give up a sure thing for something unknown and very scary.
After years of wishing we could do something different, we finally had enough and made a one year commitment to change jobs and careers. I publicly declared our plans on this site back in 2009, and in February of 2010, we sold our business, got rid of most of our possessions and left Japan. My new philosophy is “If not now, then when?”
Our One Year Plan Articles
- My One Year Plan to Quit my Job and Move to a New Country!
- My One Year Plan to Change My Country and Career Part 2
- One Year to a New Country (Two Months Later)
- My One Year Plan to Find a New Country and Career – Mission Accomplished!
- One More Week to Leave Japan!
- We Did It! One Year to a New Country, Career and Life.
- One Month into My New Anywhere Lifestyle
- 8 Months in to Our Anywhere Lifestyle
- 16 months into Location Independence
- 2 Years into Location Independence – a Personal Update
- Location Independent Update From Australia
- Can I Afford to Stop Being Location Independent?
- 33 Months of Location Independence – A Personal Update