I just had an opportunity to read Nomadic Matt’s (Mathew Kepnes) ebook, “How to Make Money With Your Travel Blog.” I think most readers of JetSetCitizen are looking for ways to earn an income to fund their travels, and this book has the answers. Nomadic Matt currently makes more than $3000 per month from his travel websites and he earns this income while roaming the world. I write more about Matt on my How to Really Make Money from a Travel Blog post.
Matt is not promising some get rich quick scheme, he acknowledges that “making money online takes time.” If you are willing to put in the effort and have the perseverance to keep working on your sites, this ebook is a good action plan covering everything you need to know.
Matt’s ebook is a step-by-step list of actions you must take to earn money online. What I like best is that it is very concise and gets to the point quickly. The steps you must take are clearly and succinctly stated, with no superfluous verbiage. It explains the exact websites, techniques and SEO that bring the most traffic and income. The ebook is travel focused, but it could really be used for any online niche.
How to Make Money With Your Travel Blog: Sections
1. Setting up a blog – This is a beginners guide to help you decide what to focus on with your websites and gets you thinking about ways to maximize your earning potential.
2. Creating Your Blog – Matt recommends the commonly used WordPress bloggging platform and he gives a quick overview of getting your blog set up and optimized for search engines.
3. Increasing Traffic – This section is about leveraging social media and other community websites to bring you more traffic, thereby helping you earn more money. He covers the essentials of effectively using StumbleUpon, Twitter, Facebook, comments and forums to get more visitors.
4. Search Engine Optimization Tips – Matt covers the key steps in gettting traffic from search engines.
5. Monetization Tips – This section talks about the four main ways to monetize your website: Adsense, text links sales, affiliate advertising, and private ad sales.
6. Putting it All Together – This is a final summary telling you what to focus on for the first couple months of building your websites and what results you can expect.
If you are already making thousands of dollars per month online than you will already know much of this content. Experts probably won’t learn too many new tricks. For the rest of us, this is a great, comprehensive resource to making money from websites. As I said before, it has a travel title but it really can be used for any online business. At only $27, it is a great value.