Teach English in a Foreign Country, 10 Interviews with Experienced Teachers

Teach English Abroad

Teach English Abroad

The easiest,  fastest and safest way to leave your home country and begin a life in a foreign country is to teach English. If you have a university degree, a couple thousand dollars and about three months, you can reset your life in an exotic location. I did it and thousands of others have as well. Here are ten interviews with English teachers in various countries around the world to give you an idea of what to expect.

Teach English in Korea, Interview with Jordan Lunan

Great information on what it is like to teach English in Korea by an experienced teacher. Visas, cost-of-living, getting a job and quality of life.

Teach English in France, Interview with Roni Weiss

What it is like to teach English in France. Covers visas, cost of living and what you are likely to expect. Roni also explains what it is like to teach in English immersion camps around the world.

Teach English in Korea, Interview with Simon and Martina Stawski

Great interview with EatYourKimchi bloggers and English teachers in Korea. Detailed advice and information on teaching in Korea.

Teach English in Vietnam, Interview with Sherry Ott

What it is like to teach English in Vietnam. Finding work, visas, cost of living and more.

Interview with Taiwan English Teacher, Tina Wu

What it is like to teach English in Taiwan. From getting a job to cost of living, it is all included here.

Interview with Thailand English Teacher, Amanda Dorough

Find out detailed information on teaching English in Thailand in this interview.

Teach English in Japan: Interview with Neil Mullens

Veteran English teacher and school owner, Neil Mullens, shares his experiences teaching English in Japan.

Teach English in China: Interview with Gordie Rogers

Seven year English teacher Gordie Rogers, shares his experiences teaching English in China. He gives information on how to find a job, visas and cost of living.

Teach English in Thailand Interview

A five year veteran English teacher in Thailand shares his experiences in this fantastic interview.

Teach English in Korea, Interview with David Deubelbeiss

David Deubelbeiss is a teacher, writer and runner. He is an educator with over 17 years experience teaching ESL / EFL . He has taught and presented in Korea, Canada, France, the Czech Republic, Ukraine and Russia. and specializes in Web 2.0 and using technology in the classroom.

9 Responses to Teach English in a Foreign Country, 10 Interviews with Experienced Teachers

1. Karen says:

This is a great resource, John!

Although Teaching English overseas is not at the top of my list right now, it is on the life list. The information you provide will certainly come in handy. I have to bookmark this article!

Thanks,
    Karen
    .-= Karen´s last blog ..Just For Today Challenge, Day 14: Taking Action On Your Goals =-.

2. Great and important post, John!

So many people wonder how they can travel & this indeed is a quick and easy way. I’ve heard of several who have done it with young children too and loved it as otherwise they never would have been able to travel.

We haven’t done this and probably never will, but I see it as a great win/win option for so many longing to travel!
    .-= soultravelers3´s last blog ..Our 3 Best Kept Family Travel Secrets! =-.

3. Anil says:

Awesome list – I know lots of people who have the plan to teach English but no idea how to go about it.

4. Chris says:

I have a few friends who have taught English overseas and had a great time! It was just that, a safe way for them to be in a new country, yet feeling supported as well. Not to mention the wonderful new things they learned being completely immersed in a new country. 🙂
    .-= Chris´s last blog ..Bridgestone Motorcycle Tires =-.

5. Tim says:

Nice list, and good luck with your plan to leave Japan! I’m planning to leave at some point but haven’t set a date yet.

If anyone is reading this and considering teaching English abroad then go for it! Especially if you come from a country that has the working holiday visa programme.

6. Ana says:

Very nice list, I agree. I’m planning to return to Japan, or perhaps to another country this time, soon. It’d admittedly be a bit easier for me to just set out to Japan again, once I’ve saved something, as my visa there is valid until 2013 and I have a re-entry stamp. All part of those pesky little official things you have to keep in mind when you go. I’d be happy to chat privately with anyone who wants to know more about how to go about it.

7. Ana says:

Yep, John, I did. Sorry this is so late.

In 2010 I was 4 days into a new Tokyo job when I was hospitalized for pneumonia and the company let me go, not willing to absorb sick costs for a new employee. I had to go “home” when the money ran out: a fiftysomething woman with no home, no job, no money, no more friends’ couches, a country in decline … it can happen.

But for most it probably won’t. With a mobile business it never has to even if you choose to keep your hand in the classroom as I want to do. English teaching is still the fastest ticket out and combined with a growing location-free enterprise the world’s in your hands.

English teaching does have a sort of shelf life, though, unless you have advanced qualifications. I tell people if that’s on their minds, get to it. Opportunities dry up with age — although they’re still there. Never, ever stop looking. It’ll just take a tad longer as it is with me now. I’ll be back (I’m not sure which country this time). All three of my stints were in my maturity.

Mobile opportunities will never dry up. All the best to you.